Park & gardens
Welcome to the Lanniron gardens in Quimper ! Located on the banks of the Odet, the Lanniron estate was for more than six centuries the residence of the bishops of Quimper. Transformed into a Palladian residence in the 19th century, the château overlooks French gardens created in the 17th century, with several terraces on the Odet. The gardens also house a remarkable botanical collection established in the 19th century by the ancestors of the current owners.
Opening time & fare
Entry: single price 9 € (adults and children) / Opening hours: 9 am-7 pm - last admission at 6 pm / Dates: May 15 to September 22. / Practical: catering available on the spot
Les allées du parc
Le grand canal
Le bassin du Dauphin
Les carrés potagers
Le bassin de Neptune
Le bois de Neptune
La façade du château
A family outing
Come with your family and walk around this green domain of 94 acres!
Through a historical treasure hunt, children from 6 to 12 will discover the 6 secrets of Lanniron gardens following their heroes Hermine de Kerret, her parrot Kalisto and her brother René just about to leave for a long trip.In the former stables your family will rediscover the joys of old traditional wooden games.
Address, skill and speed are required!Close to the main farm, the youth will be able to let off steam on the trampolines and in the inflatable structures: giant soft mountain, tree to climb and maze for endless play tags!
On the way, toboggans, swings, turnstiles and ziplines will en-tertain the little ones on our two playgrounds.Finally, do not hesitate to borrow the pedal go-karts that will allow you to roam the paths of the estate at full speed.
As far back as the 12th century, the bishops of Quimper liked to reside in their country home along the Odet river year round, but especially in the summer. There was a village with a church, a cemetary, houses and a mill surrounding this country home. There was even a real parish that is referred to in parchments from the time.
Lanniron is a summer residence but the bishops didn't come only to take a rest : when trouble began in Quimper, the bishops took refuge in Lanniron to manage the diocese's affairs, for example, in 1344 during the assault and pillage of Quimper by Charles de Blois.
During the 15th century, Lord Bertrand de Rosmadec ordered the building of a manor to replace the country house. It's a square manor flanked by four corner turrets. Gradually, the estate grew through land purchases and the Lanniron village disappeared.
Then, the Lanniron Château changed from a summer residence to become a real episcopal residence. In 1488, Lord Guy de Bouché transformed the château into an episcopal residence like the one in Quimper. However, it was particularly during the 16th century, after the Ligue war that the situation changed.
During the battles of Ligue, the bishopric became a fortress with weapons and cannons for the soldiers defending the town : either the “Ligueurs” or “kings” men depending on who won the battles. The two army chiefs took turns having parties, and during one of these parties the bishopric burnt. When Lord Charles de Liscoet had to leave his bishop residence in Quimper devastated by fire, he took up residence in his Lanniron estate which then became the only bishop residence in Quimper for 40 years (from 1594 to about 1630).
In the 17th century, Lord de Coetlogon bought many areas of land and established the terraces and gardens that we now see today.
In the 18th century, Lord de Farcy de Cuillé modified the 15th century manor a little by adding a walkway and updating it to the 18th century style. The last bishop who lived at Lanniron was Lord Conen de Saint Luc. In fact, during the French Revolution, the revolutionaries confiscated the clergy's property so Lanniron became part of the national heritage and the bishops were chased away. The national property of Lanniron has been sold many times. The château began to turn into a ruin and the 17th century gardens were rented to gardeners who grew fruit and vegetables.
In 1822, Emmanuel Calixte Harrington, an English nobleman of French descent and living in France bought the estate and began to rebuild the château. The château as we see it today dates from the 19th century. Typically English, Harrington decided to transform the château into the Palladian style.
Its long, low facade is topped by three triangular pavilions and harmonic columns. Its symmetry is perfect and fits in well with the terrace and the gardens. Nowadays, there are only the foundations, the ancient kitchen dating back to the 15th century and the western walkway dating from the 18th century which are still in place. The other parts were destroyed during the building of the current château. After having modified the house, Harrington decided to modify the French gardens: they were too straight and did not correspond to the gardens called “jardins à l'anglaise” that are thicker, more romantic and natural.
He intended to destroy the terraces but left Lanniron before accomplishing that goal.
In 1833, Charles de Kerret de Quillien, ancestor of the current owners, bought the estate and, for nearly 190 years, the same family has maintained and renovated the château and the gardens.