Charles de Kerret, the grandfather of the present owners, became the owner of Lanniron in 1833. His family has pursued the park restoration under the guidance of close relative artists, great travellers and Italy and Cannes garden lovers such as Charles de Malartic.
Madame de la Sablière, daughter of the buyer, might have brought in some tree species after she came back from a trip in Constantinope such as her son Georges, a young explorer in America and in Alaska.
This property belonged for a millenium to the bishops of Quimper, counts of Cornouaille: deeds from the 13th century were even signed by them.
In the 15th century, Bishop Bertrand de Rosmadec erected a new manor in which his successors lived permanently or temporarily (as a summer palace) until the end of the 18th century.
In the 17th century, Bishop François de Coëtlogon extended the property.
He will be remembered not only for his great deeds as a bishop but also for creating wonderful gardens.
We cannot assure that the gardens were designed by the Mollets, Lenôtre’s predecessors as King’s gardeners, or by the King himself.
The main ornaments of Lanniron were the great canal, the fountains, the Neptune basin and the Orangerie where you can find concerts during the Musical Weeks of Quimper. Bishop Ploeuc and Bishop Farcy embellished as well Lanniron and the manor house has been extended.
During the French revolution, Lanniron sadly declined and it was subsequently sold by the Government in 1791. It was plundered, it had several owners for about 10 years. Emmanuel Harrigton, a Franco-British, became the owner for a decade, he converted the manor into a Palladian house. According to the plans established in London, it appears that Harrigton considered modernising the gardens by removing the terraces. Fortunately, he did not have the time to proceed.
The campsite of the Orangerie de Lanniron was created in 1969 in order to maintain the survival of the property and attract tourists to the region, on the banks of the Odet river.